Yeah, and what is that above the left front wheel, on fenders at both sides of hood, behind wheels, by headlights, etc?

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <str...@cs.indiana.edu>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2011 2:04 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300D to replace Gump?

Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> writes:

How about this?
Seller says it's not a rust bucket, but I have my doubts...
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/2532041096.html

Rust can hide for a long while, invisble.  I was just going over the
300SD I bought.  Visibly there is no rust.  Yet I started pressing
around the jack points and there is the telltale softness and crunching
that tells me the metal under the black undercoat is rotten.

And the car linked above has VISIBLE rust... what's the rule of thumb
about rust?  What you can see is about 20% of what there is... something
along those lines.

Allan
--
1983 300D