Not that I want to admit it...;>) BUT....I am SURE the valves need adjustment on that car. Hasn't been done in over 20K IIRC.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Cathey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2005 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Skill testing question: 1982 240d

This was like it fired up fairly easily one day, then was stone dead
in the
morning the next day after the temps dropped (and not by that much).

Such sudden temperature sensitivity smells of valves to me.  Certainly
it's an easy enough check.  I believe they tend to go tight with time,
and it doesn't take much to kill starting compression.

-- Jim