>Message: 10
>Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:51:57 -0500
>From: "Constantine N. Polites" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [MBZ] noise in front: 350sdl
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

>I have a wierd noise in the of the motor, it appears to be comming from
>the belt tensioner ( not the chain tensioner).
>I changed the fan and clutch, the tensioner pulley, and the shock
>absorber.  The shock absorber is constantly in motion
>an becomes very hot, the new one diminished the noise, but still got
>hot.  Using a mechanics stethascope I could only find an increase in
>sound on the area of the tensioner-not the motor itself.  I have not yet
>checked the tensioner for a possible loose socket head bolt.(100nm).
>
>Constantine

Hi Constantine,
What type of noise are you referring to?
The reason I ask is that about two months ago an odd noise (to me) started
appearing at the front of my 2003 ML 400 CDI with approx. 49,000 miles.
The best I can describe it is that it sounds like a chirp which is heard a
fraction of a second before the engine comes to a complete stop after being
shutdown.
To my mind it sounds like a ran-out-of-grease pulley but if that was the
case why wouldn't it be heard all the time!? Unless of course the frequency
which generates it is so low that it is not generated at idle RPMs!!

Omar.