Apparently Infiniti alternator has six diodes and known weakness in the ECU to
dirty power. Alternator can still provide sufficient power if a diode or two
fails, and keep the battery charged but it is too dirty and the ECU is not
happy. An oscilloscope would be useful to see how dirty it is. Dirty power
won't cause a specific code, but false codes.

Scan tool would be to resolve other issues.

Max

Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> wrote:

I was going to buy a USB scan tool http://www.obdtester.com/obdtester
to get my truck sorted out, but ended up taking it to the garage and
they scanned it, reset the distributor, and got it sorted out for less
than the scan tool costs. I don't think a scope would do what you need,
the computer keeps track of what the sensors and such are doing, and the
scan tool will report on that in real time so you can twiddle with it.
Probably the way to go. Not sure what a scope would do with the
alternator, you can take it to the FLAPS and let them test it easy
enough with their tool. The scan tool might track its behavior too?

--R