you will notice the front end wandering, sloppy steering, and maybe squeaking/creaking/groaning for quite a while before the joint fails.

I highly recommend Molykote gun grease (BR2) for most applications, including this one. It is available at bearing supply houses

FSM says you must replace the joint; boot kit is only used if you damage a boot during installation.

Your idea may result in a joint that fails and your front wheel falls off.

Max

w123wa...@gmail.com wrote:

Posted a similar question to another MB list but no bites so I'm widening the netĀŠ

'84 300TD. The rubber boot on one lower ball joint (control arm/steering knuckle) is cracked but not open or leaking (other side shows no such cracking). Mercedes sells a boot kit ( 1165860433) for this joint. Job #33-430 in the W123 manual. I do not own (can't justify buying) the ball joint press for this. The entire assembly is currently mounted in my bench vise.

1) Can the boot be installed without their special cone shaped 'assembly sleeve' tool? What have others used? Any time- or aggravation-saving tips?

2) What grease should be used? How much?
MB says 'Longterm grease, refer to Specification for service products page 266.2.' I'm unable to find such a reference on the CD manual.

Thanks!
Dave
SoCal