Kerr Tung wrote:
This make more gasoline and less diesel claim puzzles me. From what I learned that at
different temperatures different product such as gasoline and diesel are generated during
the crude oil refinery process. That means the percentage of each product can be
distilled out of the crude should be a fixed number. Can they "squeeze" diesel
to make more gasoline? Would some petrochemist shed some light into this, please?

Making a gallon of diesel uses a larger percentage of a barrel of crude than making a gallon of gasoline no matter HOW you mix it or blend it (and there are lots of ways to make either the diesel or gasoline). You CAN bias the refining and blending process to favor MORE diesel and less gasoline or the other way, but that can only be done at a cost.

It is claimed that the automobile that Benz assembled in the 19th century was powered by "gasoline" because it was the major unused waste product after fuel oil was extracted from crude so was rather inexpensive.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi