CarFax "saved" me coupla time several years ago; revealed 2 cases of 124's having "lost" 150 kmi or so each while in FL for short time.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "LWB250" <lwb...@yahoo.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2011 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Best source for "carfax" report?

From what I can tell, CarFax bases their reports on DMV information and
whatever is voluntarily entered by dealerships, say, if they took the car on trade and serviced it at that time.

It seems to be hit or miss for the most part, from what I see.

The one good thing is that it more or less gets you the DMV data, so you can at least see if there is anything funky as far as the history, especially on mileage. In fact, that's one thing that CF will flag, if the mileage is weird.

I look at it this way - it's cheap insurance, and in the grand scheme of things, the expense is minimal relative to the potential for problems. Sort of like a PPI. I wouldn't buy a used car without one, as it gives you a point of reference as to the car's condition, and is also a negotiating tool in some cases.

When I bought the Ford Focus wagon I now drive last August, I bought it from an independent dealer, but had the local Ford dealer do the PPI. Cost me $79 and change, got me the complete maintenance history of the one-owner dealer maintained car. It effectively cinched the deal.

Dan