On 19/10/2011 5:32 PM, glenn brown wrote:
I've looked thru all my workshop manuals for my '84 300D but can't seem to
locate any info. on the block heater.  Does anyone know if the block heater is
thermostatically controlled?
TIA.

G. M. Brown
Brevard, NC

If you want it to be, I believe there are cords that have the thermostat built into them. Don't think it reflects the temperature of the engine however. It detects the outdoor temperature and will not turn on if the ambient air temperature is above -20 C. My understanding is that late model GM products all incorporate that feature.

If you wanted it to sense engine temperature, one would think it would not be too difficult to create something that would turn the block heater on and off depending on the temperature of the block or the coolant.

Randy