Craig wrote:

I thought it was a significant contribution. I stand corrected.

Significant with respect to the recommended daily allowance?

Hmm, maybe I should at least attempt to do the math. Grains of hardness is grains of calcium per gallon of water, isn't it?

Since 23 grains of sodium displace 40 grains of calcium, then we're looking at 17 grains of sodium to replace the typical (where I live) 30 grains of hardness.

I'm getting over a gram of sodium per gallon, around 1100 milligrams. That does eclipse the usual 10mg/liter found in soda pop, but very few people drink a gallon of tap water in a day.

Mitch.