I was friends with the local Circuit County Court Judge for a number of years.
They have an uncanny ability to cut through the bullshit and get to the truth
of a mater. If you push it to the point where it gets in front of a judge, the
other side will be waay motivated to settle even if it's not their fault.

Funny story - just after he was appointed to the bench we went to visit him. I
asked him what it was like to be a judge and he laughed and said "Everybody
fuc*ing lies. The prosecutor lies, the cops lie, the lawyers lie, everybody
expects the defendants to lie. People are yelling out objections to everything
and you have to sort out the mess on your own. I fuc*ing love it!". He was
appointed after the sitting judge went senile then was re-elected for over a
decade. His campaign slogan was "You better start building more jails.". Nice
enough guy but he was a bit of a hard-ass.

-Dave Walton