Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 15:42:29 -0500
From: Tim C <bb...@crone.us>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] ThinkPads [was Re: Computer meets coke]

My brother-in-law works in sales at Lenovo, and I drive by* their main
office every time I eat pizza for lunch.  I work with a bunch of
ex-IBMers and have had/used a dozen Thinkpads at work.  They are nice
machines, though in fairness the last ones I used were from just after
Lenovo bought the PC division from IBM.

That said, Lenovo is a Chinese-owned company, and without any
quantitative evidence, in following local job postings I suspect they
have moved a lot of their R&D/engineering to China or elsewhere.

As far as I know the only manufacturer with US R&D and assembly is
Dell, and I'm sure they have moved a lot of their stuff by now.  Dell
also has the maintenance manuals online. I have been reasonably
satisfied with their professional laptops (Latitudes) though they are
not as rugged as my A20m is.  I also recently disposed of a 600, not
because it wasn't working but because I couldn't think of anything to
do with it.

Best,
-Tim
Durham NC