I was going to suggest taking a bit of 0000 steel wool, buffing up the existing finish a bit, then giving it a spray with spray shellac or lacquer. It probably won't look worse, and that should be fairly benign to the work piece. Of course, you might want to do the testing on some old bits and see if it works.

--R

On 11/29/11 5:58 PM, LWB250 wrote:
As someone with the experience of a journeyman furniture builder, I can tell you
that it is near impossible to do anything with MB veneer pieces due to the very thin
(about 1/64") material and the type of finish they use.  You can easily take a
swipe with the wrong grit sandpaper and go right through the veneer.

I have suggested to people who want to give it a try to grab some pieces from
their local pick and pull and try it - it's a good learning experience.

Drew Tibken of Heritage Woodworks is the only guy I have ever met that can do
this, and he has invested a lot of money and time into the process.  I have
seen how he does the work, and it's truly a long and involved process that he
developed over the years.  If you ever saw it, you would recognize that Drew's
work is nothing short of world class.

Dan

________________________________
  From: andrew strasfogel<astrasfo...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List<mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:46 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Refinishing W123 zebrano wood grain

My center console wood in the W123 300TD is about like this and I would
like to improve it.  Has anyone had any luck in refinishing zebrano wood?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mercedes-Benz-300D-300TD-diesel-W123-Woodgrain-original-center-consoleNR-/250938284492?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a6d1659cc