I'm very fond of ground source heat/cooling systems, too. Better to transfer heat from/to constant (or nearly so) ground or water than air that's often too hot or too cold. BTW, what's the constant ground (below frost line) temp there, 'bout 55F?

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Bennell" <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2011 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] More OT - HWT

I was seriously interested in ground source heat pumps but unfortunately, I don't really have enough land to do it easily. They need to be able to drill about 40 to 50 holes about 10 feet apart on a grid unless they drill fewer holes much deeper. Deeper becomes more expensive and I really don't have a space big enough to drill that many holes. It would cost $20K or better to install but the cost of operation would be almost nil. Generally just the electricity to run the pumps and fans except perhaps in the coldest weather when electric backup might be required.

If I were going to build a new home, I would certainly want that system.

Randy