Lake effect snow is usually limited to a band maybe 20-30 miles from the shore,
although in some areas a combination of topography and winds can take it
farther.

We lived on the shores of Lake Michigan for six years, and rarely saw it,
mainly because we were on the western shore and the prevailing winds were west
to east.

However, the effect of the large body of water on our weather was still
noticeable, as the lake temperature tempered our ambient.

Listening to the weather the phrase, "Cooler by the lake" was quite common.

That being said, it did work to our advantage most of the time. It kept things
cool in the summer, and also reduced the effects of snowfall by a factor of as
much as 50% or more compared with 5-10 miles inland. We didn't install AC in
the house until about three years after we moved in, as it was rarely needed
because of the lake breezes.

The only negative I can recall was it taking a lot longer to warm up in the
summer, as it could easily be in the 80s inland but only 60 at our house.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone