I think "ebonics" is actually derived from Gullah, which was slave "english" (actually a hodgepodge of various languages/pronunciations, including African and European). Most of my neighbors are Gullah, and speak Gullah, which sounds a lot like Jamaican English when they get going, but also seems to be the root of the "ebonics" that is prevalent all over the country. I'm guessing it all started with the slaves here, who were the first to be brought to the US, from Barbados initially then Africa directly, and sorta spread with subsequent arrivees and the diaspora. I am told it sorta developed as a general language everyone could communicate in using various bits of their own original languages.

This is all conjecture, not being a linguist, but being here in the midst of the "mother" tongue it sure seems like it.

I don't think the CL idiot was communicating in ebonics, he was probably just a dumbass.

--R