Marshall:

I know of two turbos that have failed in exactly that fashion, one on my car and one on someone else's. Both showed serious lack of boost at low speed cold and both showed excessive oil consumption. One (the MB one) blew blue smoke on acceleration. My volvo TD didn't, but the exhaust was full of coked oil and actually caught fire after the turbo was replaced (quite an experience, having burning carbon blow out the exhaust!).

The failure is not primarily a seal failure, it's a bearing failure. They do wear out eventually, and bad bearings usually result in seal failure before the turbo stops working altogether.

Peter