I remember a cold morning years ago when I poured a clouded up slurry of
biodiesel into my 220D. The thing ran just fine!

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 7, 2011, at 10:04 PM, Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:

With bio-diesel you are stuck with whatever fatty acids are present in the
parent oil. Bio-D is really methyl or ethyl esters of fatty acids (the ethyl or
methyl group replaces the glycerol in the fat or oil), and they crystallize at
much higher temps than diesel fuel.

Peter

As a rule of thumb, the further north the plant was grown, the lower the cloud
point of the resultant BioD.

Animal fats and tropical oils (palm) are the worst. then cottonseed, and
peanut, then soy, then sunflower and then things like camolina and canadian
canola.  We know a guy who grows sunflowers in Northern WI, and runs his
homemade BioD at 100% until it gets below 0ยบ F.  That is pretty good for
homemade BioD with no additive. (German Design engine IH tractors  -66 and -86
series)