For my money, the 126 SDL is the best long distance car there is. Period. the end. I am not convinced there is anything newer or older that is better. They are comfortable, relatively economical, and still attractive nearly 30 years after the initial design. (I was told by someone the design concept started in 75) My 86 is exactly like the car featured in the 1986 S class sales booklet. It is the only car I ever had that I thought was beautiful. the 67 Chevelle SS 396 in bright metallic blue was a close second.

I had about $10 grand in my 86 SDL after purchase and initial fixup. I have driven it over 200,000 miles, and it is STILL a wonderful car. After rebuilding the suspension and new Bilsteins, it is now better than ever. It runs strong, and if the cancer didn't get it, i'd never need another car. I'd fix it forever. Being in a cancer zone, I will probably start using it winters only after this winter. Even with the cancer bug, it has been less expensive than any other choice in its size range. A 123 will still run cheaper. a 201 190D or a 124 diesel will probably run cheaper. But the 126 is a beautiful, comfortable car.

91 sounds better when you tell neighbors and friends what your car is, but 86-91 SDLs are all great, save the 350 engine problems as noted. If you plan to keep and drive the 91 SDL, then if it doesn't have a factory replacement engine, factor that into the purchase price. If you will put at least 200K on it, then you can easily justify the cost of a factory replacement engine, if it needs one.