I use durock over plywood regardless of where it goes. You could leave out the
pink water barrier. Premixed mortar sucks. Wet the tile before setting it and
it bonds better. We bought a Harbor Freight tile saw 10 years ago, loan it out
all the time, and it is still going strong with at least several hundred hours
on it.

-Dave Walton