Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll address the issues raised by the three who
responded.

Rick Knoble - Not sure if you were directing me to a specific video. The You
Tube reference you gave did not bring me to one about a carburetor. Could you
give me that link again, or perhaps the title of a specific one you think might
address my issues?

Dan Penoff  - There is a part of this carb that looks like it might be another
pump. Tomorrow, I will take a digital picture of it and submit it for
identification. (As I typed that, I wondered if I know the proper way to attach
a reference to a photo, something the reader can just "click" on to see it.)
Perhaps you might recognize that part and identify it for me,
As for the choke, it may not be properly adjusted. I do know that the choke
closes at least most of the way when cold. I have been in the habit the last
couple of years of opening the hood and closing the choke all the way by hand
before attempting to start. As soon as I crank the engine, the choke opens just
a little, so I guess the choke pull-off is operating "good enough". I do know
that the choke assembly has a problem as there are parts not connected to other
parts on the passenger side of the carb. (That is one reason I was hoping to
see some pictures of this carb with arrows identifying parts and what those
parts are called.) Opening the throttle completely does not set the stepped
cam. Right now I  put the linkage on a stepped cam by hand.  This requires that
I release it by hand later if I do not want it at a fast idle..
However, back to the original issue, now that I have replaced the accelerator
pump diaphragm, the engine starts readily. Getting it started is no longer a
problem. The problem I am experiencing now is that when I "step on the gas"
when partially warmed up, the engine stalls. It does not stall when I drive off
just after starting when it is still cold. I need to find out how it performs
when fully warmed up. I suspect there is more to this than just an improperly
adjusted choke, however I need to get more information about that. Once again,
starting the engine is no longer the issue.

Peter Frederick  - The reason I am fiddling with this carb is that a certain
family member wants me to get rid of the truck, and I would like it to run
reasonably well before attempting to sell it. I am reluctant to put money into
it, as I likely will get little for it.

You write:
"You will always have trouble starting a carbureted engine if it's
been sitting any length of time, since the fuel will evaporate out of
the carburetor"
Curiously, despite having it parked for long periods of time over the years
without being run (months on end), it has only been in the last couple of years
that I have had trouble starting it. I was convinced that the problem was a bad
fuel pump, until I disconnected the fuel line and saw gas squirting out freely.
Just to repeat, the starting problem was resolved by replacing the accelerator
pump diaphragm.
As for setting the pump linkage, I just hooked it up the same way I found it.
What and where is the power valve?

Thanks,

Jerry
82 240D