No, blue LEDs have been in production for some years now. No phosphors, which is why they are so cheap to run. Something like 3W is equal to a 40W incandescent, and if the LEDs were properly made and the underlying materials are good (the plastic frame, solder, etc) they should last essentially forever.

Big problem at the moment is getting 110V bulbs at a reasonable price. Most of them are 220V for the European market, and they won't just plug in.

The next thing that will show up, I think, is 12V wiring to get rid of the necessary power supply in each lamp -- that would push the price down a couple of bucks each!

Peter