To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:26 AM
Subject: [MBZ] Bad day for driving

Disaster!  This morning was very icy on the hill, and as I'd had a
fair bit of trouble descending I resolved to call Jill from work and
suggest that she not go anywhere until it'd warmed up, or cooled off,
or whatever.  Too late!  By the time I got to work she was calling me,
telling me that she'd spun out on the hill and slid off the road,
knocking over the stop sign at the bottom of the hill and bashing in
the driver's door.

Crap.

I drove back home to look at it, and it appears that if she had
managed to miss the sign there would have been no damage at all.  As
it is, the door is pretty much destroyed.  Certainly it took out the
handle, so she has to get in on the passenger side.  As befits a
Mercedes, once inside she can get out normally, and slam shut the
door.  There's a small crease in the rocker under the door, but it's
minor and can be disregarded.

Looks like I'm going to have to come up with a new door.  I have
Smelly in the woods, but it has no handles nor any other hardware.
There's a 123 at the U-Pull, I'll swing by and see what it's got.
Looks like the car's going to look bad after repair, it's unlikely
that the replacement will be the right color.

Jill also apparently needs ice driving lessons, she was holding the
car in low gear to keep the speed down, but did not put the car in
neutral once it broke loose.  (She should have hit neutral and
recovered via steering, before pumping the brakes to slow down as best
she could.)

-- Jim