> Dieselhead wrote:

> I went to the univ junk sale today.  They no longer install XP
> on the boxes they sell as working with OS.  They are
> installing ubuntu (no license or phone home crap from M$$) and
> libreoffice.  The guy I talk to there most often said that
> libreoffice is better than open office.
>
> I never heard of it until a couple weeks ago.

A bunch of the folks who were developing OpenOffice escaped
because it was not being developed.  Then Oracle bought it and
more left.  LibreOffice is the result.  It's a fork of
OpenOffice with more of the restrictive license components
replaced.  It took a bit for it to catch up with OpenOffice, but
it's not hard to win against a stationary opponent.  Seems
LibreOffice has caught up and should be moving ahead now.  After
all, it's actually being developed!

And this is part of the point of open/free software.  OpenOffice
was a good product - but it was being abandoned.  Enough clever
folks liked it enough to pick up the torch and keep running.
And meanwhile, all my data is in a format that isn't a locked
secret. _I_ can get to _my_ data.  Why, I can even use a bash
script to create a .ods spreadsheet!

--     Philip