I too have read about TC reliability issues.

My main interests are ability to stream lossless audio across WiFi, speed
of backup to 2nd set of drives, easy of use, quiet & energy efficient.  I
do not specifically need/want a computer for this purpose unless it turns
out to be the most cost effective solution.

After all, I could replace my MBP with a 27" iMac and do away with the
NAS/external storage altogether.  Then I would just use a few external
disks for backup as needed.

The laptop is really drive the NAS.

I'm not that concerned about RAID because the media collection doesn't
change that often and I have a set of backups for that.