To the best of my knowledge, Drobos work quite well connected directly to the
client. Current models even have things like eSATA interfaces, which will be
pretty fast.

Be careful in that the NAS model (DroboFS) does not have a local interface,
only Ethernet.

That would prevent you from swapping back and forth from local to network
connections.

Dan