Some years ago I knew someone who installed a tankless system and they did
not like it.  As I recall, the problem was that all his faucets became
clogged because the minerals in the water that were getting collected in
the water heater were making their way to his taps and shower instead.

I don't think water heaters last as long as they used to.  I would probably
pay for a warranty if it can be used the way you want.