Craig wrote:

Mitch,

I had never heard of the Goodman brand before. Are they any good? How do
you know?

They're pretty good and getting better since they bought Amana. Been talking to a lot of pros on the web recently. Somewhere I read that they were second to Carrier in overall quality, but I have no idea who came up with that or how.

The pros (the ones who make a living installing the stuff) all say that there is no bad equipment, but lots of bad installs. But they have a bit of an interest in playing up the difficulty of their work.

The thing about Goodman is that they used to sell to anybody, which is one thing they're trying to change. What it boils down to for me is that I'll have to resort to the online vendor for warranty as the company voids warranty on all electronic sales unless the selling dealer is the installing dealer. When the selling dealer is in NY and you're in Michigan, no warranty for you.

OTOH, when I can get it for $832 shipped or $1060 wholesale at the local distributor (yep, they quoted a master plumber with a wholesale account $1060 on that unit today), I suppose I can do without a factory warranty. The factory warranty is parts only anyway, unless you buy the labor contract for $100 extra.

One thing about Goodman, most of it's builder grade, and Amana are the premium models (except for Amana Distinctions, which are Goodmans with Amana tags). With the furnaces it means you get an aluminized primary heat exchanger and stainless secondary, with Amana you pay 30% more but get all stainless. If the factory warranty applies to you, Goodman's heat exchangers are warrantied for life of your ownership, and if the heat exchanger fails in the first ten years they just give you a new furnace. Best warranty in the business in that respect.

Mitch.