From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Larry T
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 3:24 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] Starter Problem

Howdy -
A week or so ago I asked a question about the starter in my 78 240D;  It was
spinning constantly and the key would not turn it off.  Also, it was not
engaging the ring gear.

We left the neg battery cable off for a week or so and when I hooked it up
yesterday the starter acted normally.  The key operated the starter normally
- starts and stops normally.

So, it doesn't look like the solenoid was welded together - perhaps it just
stuck together even though there was probably plenty of heat to weld the
metal.  Don't know why it didn't weld actually.

So now we need to fix *something* so we know we'll get home if we go
somewhere.  Frustrating, ain't it??  So, should I disassemble the starter
and solenoid to see if anything is wrong?  (PITA to remove the
starter)  Seems an odd way to go -- but I don't know how else to proceed -

Ideas?  It looks like replacing the starter is what's needed but I hate to
spend the money!!

Thx