Shouldnt take too long to cut off the ends with a cutting torch. Thats what I would have used.

Dan Weeks wrote:

Ya'll may remember some months ago the end rusted off my front stabilizer. Thanks to many of you, I learned this was not an easy fix, and was one that has reduced many otherwise good drivers to parts cars. Thanks to Loren Faeth, of this list, I was able to get mine repaired by Doug at Import Auto Limited in Ames, Iowa (515 296 2723) for $466. He cut off the end of the bar where it is thick, then machined a new end which slides over the bar. He ground flats in the bar first, and secured the new tip with six set screws and JB Weld (inside the collar), then replaced with new Mercedes bushings, bushing washers, and nut. Handles as new. Since the break was at the relatively small diameter tip and the repair is on the thick part of the stabilizer with a good thick machined collar, I think it should hold up fine. Doug, the shop owner, engineered the fix for his daily driver 126, and says it's held fine for 7 months and counting. Time will tell, but I'm very pleased. If you have a car in a similar condition, I'm guessing Doug would sell you the machined rod end, if you wanted to attempt cutting the stabilizer yourself, but he says be aware the stabilizer is harder than anything he's ever cut before, and is quite a challenge.

Thanks, Loren, for the referral!

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE, 85 300D,