I really think it depends on where you live.

I say that because I have two cars, one that lived in Florida all of its life,
the other all but two years (those were spent in Indiana.)

The car that has lived here all of its life has no signs of surface rust
anywhere to be seen, and I am talking about the undercarriage and other areas
that would be clearly visible and exposed to the elements.

The car that started here, spent two years in Indy and is now back here shows
surface rust on the undercarriage in a number of areas.

I bought a 1982 300SD that was in a carport 30 feet from the Gulf for over 10
years. It had one area of rust in a wheel well arch but was otherwise untouched.

I guess my point is that just because you live near the ocean or saltwater is
not a precursor for rust.

Dan