Mitch Haley wrote:
Peter Frederick wrote:
Running so rich it blows black smoke is a stuck regulator or a bad fuel
distributor, alas.  I've seen enough of them in my friend's shop....

Not uncommon for a warm-up regulator to get stuck on a K-Jetronic Saab
if you parked it too long.

You really need a fuel pressure gauge to diagnose K-Jetronic problems. Don't do anything to it without the gauges, or you'll probably make things worse. A neighbor I had in Michigan had a problem with his K-Jet BMW running too rich, so he decided he was going to twiddle with the mixture screw. It promptly stalled, and it was two weeks before he managed to find a position for that screw where the thing would start again. The mixture adjustment on these is extremely sensitive and has no end stops! Eventually we did troubleshooting with a pressure gauge and found his original problem was a stuck warm-up regulator -- he should have never touched the mixture screw at all.