I was finally able to get in touch with the owner of that 240D down the street
from me.  It’s a 1977 with 200K+ on the clock.  He will sell it for $750 which
seems fair.  The car was a runner before the owner moved south to Eugene and
left the car at Mom’s place.  He used to commute from Hillsboro with no
problems, but he’s been bicycling to work since he’s so close.  He has his
receipts as well as maintenance records going back 10 years from the previous
owner.  He has $2K into the car, but would rather sell it to someone who’ll use
it than have it sit there unused.  I have my suspitions that either it’s not a
‘77 or the engine/tranny have been swapped since it has the vacuum modulation
setup rather than strictly mechanical linkages.  He doesn’t recall ever doing a
valve adjustment, so that would be the first order of business.  He invited me
to go over and fiddle with it this Saturday to see if I can get it running.  It
seems like a fun project and a great way to get back into Mercedes Diesels
again!

Kevin in Hillsboro, Oregon