I was thinking about possibly purchasing the Toyota/Tesla RAV4 soon to be available, but am reconsidering after reading this. The same situation is possible with the Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries that I use in my radio-controlled truck, and that was a shock to me at nearly $70.00 for a new pack. $40,000 would be a bit more shocking to say the least! Luckily, I was able to resurrect my battery that I left plugged into the truck, a big nono. I had to hook it to a standard charger, charge it up to the minimal capacity (a major fire risk), and then hook it up to the LiPo charger. It worked, and the battery is as good as new.

Kevin in Hillsboro, Oregon