He's now tired of building up the sector teeth with brazing
rod and grinding to fit the pinion (he does it every couple
of years IIRC) but now the rack&pinion upgrade is NLA.

I expect to end up like this too.  But I have options, such
as swapping in the business end of a tiller to substitute
for this rather wimpy gear box.  But now is not the time to
be looking for snowblower parts.

This blower is really hardly worth it.  With only a 5HP motor,
it doesn't throw the snow very far.  I paid $75 for it with a
bad gearbox (didn't know that at the time), and should maybe
have taken the $50 for it the local repair shop offered (for
its motor, mostly).  If I were employed, maybe I'd just chuck
the whole thing.

Still, I suppose it's an education.

-- Jim