I have to agree with Grant.  While I'm all for saving energy, the math these
people use, even if accurate, still fails to take a lot of the upstream costs
into account, especially the cost of generating the electricity necessary to
charge the thing.

I have to believe that if this is factored in accurately, an electric car,
coupled with the high cost of battery technology, is still far more expensive
from a cost per mile than one running on fossil fuels.

That being said, if solar costs could ever be brought into a manageable range,
if you lived in an area where solar made sense and you could generate your own
power, maybe, just maybe, it might approach a realistic cost.

It's unlikely to happen in our lifetime, I believe, so that's not something I'm
counting on.

I think the best place to put our development dollars is to raise the corporate
CAFE standards.  If Detroit is forced to develop more efficient cars, and I
believe they can, electric vehicles won't stand a chance of being realistic
unless something spectacular would occur with battery technology.

Where's that 100 MPG carburetor when you need it?

<grin>

Dan