Screw the dog. If the cat is an outdoor cat, and for that matter just about any
cat, it won't blink at the dog. If the dog gets aggressive, the cat will put
the dog in its place in short order.

I have had cats and dogs living together without incident for years. For the
most part, the cats are definitely the alpha animals.  My current cat, a feral
cat we took in as a kitten, will bitch slap our dog any time he steps out of
line.

In fact, they share a few things, such as water bowls, and when they get
replenished, no matter how thirsty he is, the dog has to wait for the cat to
finish before he gets some.

She will, on occasion, just give him an open paw swipe when he walks by her. I
suspect it's her way of keeping him in line.

As a kid I had a big old yellow tabby cat, and my Dad bred German Shepards.
While those dogs would just love to get out of their kennel and go after the
cat, they only did it once (each). The minute they got too close they learned
not to mess with Kitty. He would turn on them in a second with the Louisville
Slugger tail and the arched back, claws swinging. Ouch.

Dan cat people Mani