I love your description of that 450SL! This 240D I have is much the same, pretty good mechanically although it's been eaten up by the tin worm too. It doesn't have any mold in the cabin, one of the reasons I bought it. It's a good around town car, but with all of the rust, isn't worth putting much money into restauring it's beauty, IMO. It will be getting motor mounts and shocks to enhance the driving pleasure, and it may need some driveshaft work as it has a slight vibration at speed. For $750, you can't complain too much.

Kevin in Hillsboro, Oregon
1977 240D 315Kmi, Liesel the Diesel