I have owened a 1985 Westy with the 1.9L and an Auto.  It was a great cross
country camping mobile as long as you were not in a hurry to get anywhere,
and creature comforts, such as air conditioning and the power to cross the
continental divide in a day are not on your list of requierments for
reliable transportation.

That being said, we loved it.  Sold it when campting time was reduced du to
added children.  I rebuilt an engine and it was pretty easy and low cost.
(note this is how I learned not to drive it over about 65 MPH)  the
greatest reliability comes at about 60MPH.  I added lowering springs which
reduced ground clerance but sure added to the stability on the road.

Now that I am no longer a nomad I miss my days in my VW.

1982.5 was the first year for water cooled.  If heat is important to you,
this is the only way to go.  I will not speak for anyone else - but my
experience has been that the water cooled models were more reliable.  The
head issue is true - but can be avoided with a properly assembled engine
and teh proper coolant and proper coolant changes. Tires are important, and
using your head is important as well.  Dont' over load it.  Don't dirve it
over 65 mph.

If you can drive an old mercedes you can drive and old vw vanagon.

I also had a 1974 airheated vw camper.  Had its advanatges and
disadvatages, but I found the cost of operation and the carb made it less
reliable.

Hope this helps - I still have some parts so let me know if you get one.

Peter