You may need to download rsync (free).  It is a command line program.  What
Dan suggested sounds like a GUI based version of rsync.

You can also rename your existing Documents folder to something like
"Documents.tmp" and then restore your entire Documents folder from Time
Machine to your local system.  Then just tell Finder to copy Documents.tmp
to Documents.  It will prompt if you want to overwrite files before doing
so.

If it was me, I would backup my local drive, do a total Time Machine
restore, and then sync my local user directory backup to what Time Machine
restored.  That way all your Apps, settings, and files you forgot to
manually sync are preserved.  More work up front, but probably less work
overall.