So this morning I thought I'd take the 190D to work for its first shake out
run. It started fine at 25F but as soon as I pulled out I knew something was
up, the engine wouldn't rev above about 2000 rpm (working tach, yay!) while the
clutch was engaged and the car could barely move itself in 2nd gear. I didn't
have any time to mess with it so I parked it again and took Hammie to work.
  On the way to work I got thinking that maybe the car had sat for awhile and
still had some summer fuel in it. It had run good when I picked it up but it
was in the 30s that day. So on my way home I stopped and bought a bottle of
Diesel Kleen, my favorite diesel additive. 1 bottle is supposed to treat 50
gallons, the gauge in the car reads 1/4, I figure thats maybe 5 gallons. I put
in the whole bottle, went inside to drop off my bag and change into some
working clothes. Then I drove the car up and down the driveway of my apartment
complex. We live on a pretty good hill and the first time up it was 1st gear
all the way with it bucking and spitting at 2k. Downhill things were of course
better but I kept it in 1st to keep the revs up. I let it idle a minute at the
bottom and then repeated. After a couple trips I could get up to 3k although
there was noticable hesitation.
  At that point we headed for the open road. Stopped to pump up the front
tires, I'd inflated the rears in Jersey before hauling the car back but not the
fronts since they were on the dolly.
  Out on the road things steadily improved although I think it needs a fuel
filter (already on its way, I put a nearly $100 order in to Rusty today). The
suspension is much tighter than the 240D but does seem to have an interesting
wander in it.
  I took about a 7 mile loop around before heading home for dinner. The biggest
thing I noticed is that the temp gauge never moved through the whole ride. I
expect that means its disconnected, even if the thermostat we stuck open I'd
expect the needed to move eventually. I had reasonably good cabin heat too.

  -Curt

 Yahoo! Personals