I have a '95 E300D with the 8-hole type alloy wheels.
One of the rear brakes seized last year and the inside pad wore down to the
baking plate.
Filings/dust from the worn backing plate reacted with surfaces on the wheel
causing a rusty-black rock hard deposit.

I had to scour that wheel clean using a what I can best describe as a
stainless-steel brillo pad.
With lots of work, I got that wheel looking OK again.  But I am concerned
that I may have removed some type of protective finish from it.
Does anyone know if this 8-hole generation of wheels is supposed to have a
surface treatment or clear coat of some type?
Is this wheel going to corrode away or stain badly if I don't do something
to it?

Ned Kleinhenz