In the case described below, I'm reasonably certain that the new chain on worn out sprockets was no better than, and probably worse than, leaving the old chain that was worn to match the sprockets installed. Now I'm left wondering what the crank and IP sprockets look like when we roll a new chain into a 617, but I'd bet money that all the sprockets on the 380 were in sad shape and the mechanic who replaced the cam sprockets should have known that the other sprockets were in similar condition. Chains should be replaced before they wear much, or the new chain should go in with new sprockets.

Mitch.

Dave in SoCal wrote:
I took the advice below to heart when I bought my '83 380SL. Not looking for controversy nor plan to defend Stu's reputation but I wouldn't underestimate the single row chain issue.
Dave

Stu Ritter wrote:
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 15:49:46 Some thoughts about the single row chain in the 81-83 380 models. I have always maintained that chains were cheap and we have changed these chains every 30,000 miles (I am very conservative with other peoples cars). Then the following.. a 1981 380SEC that I have maintained since new. REplaced chain at 30K, chain and updated cam sprockets at 60K and then at 82,000 with no warning, no noise, no nuttin', the chain snapped. The post mortem revealed that the sprockets inside the timing chest were so worn out they had damaged the chain. The idler sprocket, the distributor drive sprocket and the crankshaft sprocket were EXTREMELY worn out. I have now changed my point of view and we have been converting every car in my fleet. I called all of my customers within the affected range and told them to convert or sell. We have converted five now and the condition of the sprockets that we have taken out makes me think of a bomb, sitting there just ticking away. I now believe the convers
io
 n really needs to be done.. Stu Ritter