Barry Stark wrote:
Not sure if it means anything Rick but I did use anti-seize sparingly on
mine about 10 years ago. Of course I haven't had the occasion to take the
thing apart again yet. I don't know about using the Teflon tape. My concern
would be if a strip of that were to be squeezed out on assembly and come
adrift in the oiling system. Could it possibly plug up some of the channels
in the oil cooler?

Reminds me of the time, decades ago, that Popular Science did a feature on car mechanics. They sabotaged a car and had it towed to a shop, where they'd see how well the poor guy could figure out what was wrong with it. This got them a lot of 'unnecessary' fuel filter replacements along the way. The way I look at it, a fuel filter replacement was a diagnostic method on carbureted cars. It took five minutes to replace a 50 cent filter, which was probably overdue for replacement anyway. One day they had a real failure, which the 'experts' couldn't fix because the problem wasn't with the part they had sabotaged. They took it to a mechanic, and he sacrificed his supper to work on their car until he found the problem. Turned out to be a flake of teflon tape that some idiot had put on the threads of the flare nut where the fuel line meets the filter housing. It got into the idle jet, and suddenly no fuel at idle. Popular Science was correct when they said that teflon tape on the threads of a flare fitting was a sign of incompetence.

Mitch.