While some countries have transferred from left to right, the only case
recorded of a transfer from right to left is in Okinawa on 30 July 1978.

found this tidbit on:
http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/driving%20on%20the%20left.htm

I lived in Japan for seven years while in the Navy, and often found myself
walking to the left side of the car!  When I returned to the US, I then
began to absentmindedly walk to the right side of the car.

I had my first encounter with the 123 MB in Japan, a buddy bought a 76 280E
with a 4-speed and left hand steering.  I was prout of myself to be able to
switch from my rhd car to his MB without suffering a  loss of functionality.

--
Rory Morrison
Oroville, WA