This one really threw me for a loop.

Once my 1985 300TD gets halfway warmed up, a sickly sweet soooty smell
emanates through the vents - even with the ACC in the "off" position.
At the tech session last Saturday, Ed (the tech I was working with)
pointed out several possible sources:  a dribble of green antifreeze
coating the large radiator hose that heads downward and to the left
(viewed from the front), and other areas.

We tightened the radiator hose clamp, which seemed to solve that
issue.  Ed pointed out as well an awful lot of oil coating the engine,
basically from beneath the turbo to the bottom of the oil pan, as well
as oil seeping fom the breather hose on top of the valve cover and the
valve cover gasket itself (despite being new).  I was instructed to
clean off as much of this gunk as possilbe and then inspect for any
live leaks.

I cleaned up all the areas that were accessible, but it's still too
early to tell whether there is an active oil leak associated with the
turbo assembly. The antifreeze flow has been stopped so while I am
hoping this takes care of smell problem my pessimist self says the
turbo itself could be the source of the toasty burnt smell.

Anyone been there/done that?

Andrew
1983 and 1985 300TDs