Was last night, but still the same.  Driving in the rain, everything seemed to
be pretty tight, water incursion wise, but after she sat parked for a time, I
come back and there is a drip drop coming off the rearview mirror switch.  What
in tarnation is going on?  Any guess as to where the water is coming in?

Having paid a visit to the parents, who are hosting my sister from out of town,
with kids, I am now able to tear into getting the SL set up.  Today we removed
the disintegrating trunk rubber thing, pulled out the spare, and put an adult
diaper upon the floor to sop up the errant water.  Pulled out the non standard
lug wrench coated in fine rust and gave it a sanding and a coat of rattle can
black.  Did the same to the spare wheel bolt down.  The rest of the trunk will
be getting wire wheel and POR-15 in the coming weeks.

Under the hood I pulled the air filter housing and the washer pump.  Hooked the
pump to 12v, but it only hums, not pumps.  Guess that wants new.  Found a few
hoses around the filter housing that need renewal.  Obviously not installed by
a qualified mechanic, since they were held in place by screw down hose clamps
three sized too large.  To keep them from wearing on other things in the tight
space, he had zip tied and electric taped the ends down.  Will have to source
the proper size.  Other hose has a nice split.

The filter housing was oxidized and rusting in spots.  Gave it a good sanding
and then a shot of rust stop rattle can.  All the rust is now being turned
black and being sealed up.  In the morning I will give it the first coat of
rattle can black. Two coats should suffice.  Idiot prior mechanic had swapped
the stand off nut for the wing nut, so I will put those back where they belong.

I really should have taken the camera for before and after shots.

clay

1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1972 220D - Gump - She is green, simple and ran
1995 E300D - Cleo - Used by the Queen of Denial
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers