My Craftsman garage door opener stopped working tonight.  Motor runs but
door doesn't move.

I popped the cover off, and was showered in what looked like white
sawdust.  Yep, they used nylon gears for the main drive.  A worm gear
setup, the worm gear itself looks OK but the gear it's driving is now
toothless.

I can get a replacement gear set but the apparently the drive unit has
to be substantially disassembled to replace it.  Since I'd have to take
it down anyway I'm thinking of just replacing the whole thing.
Everything about it feels cheap.  It was always noisy and buzzy too.

I'm considering a Sommer opener.  Made in Germany, direct drive (the
chain is stationery and the drive motor moves with the door).

http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Drive-Garage-Door-Opener/dp/B0043WS9I6/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

Anyone have one of these?

--
1983 300D