Sounds like a rip off to me, unless the remainder of the rego is transferable to the new owner. How do they get away with it? Wonder how much money they make out of duplicate registrations on vehicles?

Also the system of rego based on value is stupid, insofar that the state wants people to drive relatively modern cars but imposes an extra tax on anyone who buys a newer car. Our system does have this in a sense where the tax payable when you register a car is based on value but annual renewal fees are based on the type of vehicle, so the annual cost of a new Merc is the same as one that is 20 years old.

Hendrik
who hates paying for rego