Which is why I'm leaning towards a new one - I know what I do to them, how
I maintained them, etc. That reduces the work needing to be done during the
cars lifetime. It is a consumable item, not an investment, but they're
priced like investments! My observations of other's cars has been that the
"ordinary" cars (yes, my MB bigotry is showing) have good drive trains for
the most part, but the bodies fall apart starting around 100k miles.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca> wrote:

> On 18/04/2012 8:00 AM, Dan Penoff wrote:
>
>> I think the 150k-200k car is pretty realistic from most new vehicles
>> today.
>>
>> I have two Ford Focii (Focuses?) that are above 150k, a 2004 and a 2005.
>>
>> The 2005 has nearly 165k on it, and despite needing a few minor items and
>> being a little rattly, runs just fine.
>>
>> The 2004, which is my car, just turned 150k and has no issues at all.
>> Other than a rear wheel bearing, which I probably did, it hasn't cost me a
>> dime other than for normal scheduled maintenance and tires. It is still a
>> very solid car that I would get in and drive anywhere.
>>
>> While there will always be beaters and lemons, I would suggest that it
>> all comes down to how well cared for the vehicle is. If the owner doesn't
>> take care of it, the car might not even see 100k miles.
>>
>> Dan
>>

> I suggest it also depends to a great extent, on how hard one drives it. I
> am not suggesting that one must baby a vehicle all of the time, but I do
> see people driving who, to me at least, appear to be abusing their vehicles.
>
> Randy

OK Don
2001 ML320
1992 300D 2.5T