Loosen the lock nut, turn the adjuster screw COUNTERclockwise (loosen) 1/4 turn and try it on the road. It will take several adjustments to get it right. sometimes 1/8 turn is enough. If you get it too tight (Loosen the adjuster too much) you can tell by noise and handling. Then just reverse the direction of the adjustment.

nothing to be scared of.

Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> writes:

 I am thinking the steering box needs to be adjusted, but with all the
 scary stories about buggering the box I am reluctant to do that.

I don't think there's any harm in adjusting it slightly, to see if you
get improvement.  Just don't adjust it so far as to remove ALL the
slack.  I don't really know ho much is considered normal; my 300D has
about as much slop as yours, based on your description.

Allan
--
1983 300D
1979 300SD